We head to the Central West Coast of Florida to bring you our 2020 ISI Winter Classic, Feb. 28 — March 1 at Tampa Bay Skating Academy in Oldsmar. Test and entry deadline is Dec. 15. Visit skateisi.org/winterclassic.
Known for its “Old Florida” southern charm, Oldsmar is located between Tampa and the white-sand beaches of the Gulf Coast. It’s close to two international airports, numerous parks and preserves and amazing museums, restaurants and shops as well as tons of recreation.
There are many ways to find off-ice adventure in this exciting area! We’ve highlighted a few:
- Mobbly Bay Wilderness Preserve— Oldsmar’s answer to outdoor exploration! Hike, kayak, canoe or zipline at Empower Adventures Tampa Bay, located within the preserve.
- Big Cat Rescue— Animal sanctuary dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating and housing abused and abandoned exotic cats.
- Oldsmar Flea Market— Rummage through 800 booths to discover hidden treasures. Free admission!
- Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs— Marvel at the boats, with nets filled with sponges caught in the Gulf; enjoy the Greek Village, brimming with 100 shops and restaurants; and/or book a sightseeing cruise to catch a glimpse of dolphins, manatees and birds.
- Busch Gardens— The popular theme park offering thrilling rides, world-class shows and a zoo.
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium— Home to Winter the dolphin, star of the “Dolphin Tale” movie, and other rescued sea critters.
Photos courtesy of VisitStPeteClearwater.com and SeaWorld Parks Entertainment.